Ads

Making the Hard Decision

Making the Hard Decision


Hard Decision

There are many instances in which you face a decision between what you know as right or wrong. Whether it is having another beer when you have to get up early the next morning or lying about something when you know the truth will ultimately cause you hardship. That instant when your inner-voice kicks in and the right thing is apparent, IS the turning point that defines success and failure.
I, along with every human being, have struggles making the right decision at a particular moment all the time. Some months ago, some of my friends were trying to coerce me to go out one night in a city that was an hour drive away from my workplace where I had to be the next morning at 6 a.m. I experienced this moment, ultimately deciding to go with the easy decision and we did indeed have a blast that night. Unfortunately, the next morning at 5 after about one hour of sleep, I found that I was still WAY too drunk to drive all the way to work. In my drunken stupor, I decided that the only resolution was to call my boss and wake him up to tell him I was sick. It would have been a great plan had I not slurred my way through three-quarters of the conversation explaining how sick I was before pronouncing at the end of the conversation "Boss, I'm really messed up." By the grace of God I didn't get fired that day, but I should have been. All of his respect for me was gone in that instant. I made a decision to act like a child, and after that I was treated like one.
Hard decision
That instant decision could have had a huge negative impact on my life if not ruining or ending it. All I had to do was say, "No I'm going home because I have work early in the morning." What is the worst thing that would have happened from that decision? I would have missed out on some fun, sure, but I would have also had $150 more and still had dignity at work.
Most importantly, I would have removed all of the negative possibilities that were derived from my poor decision. The dilemma of whether to drive to work or call in sick would have never arisen. That split-second of making the "hard" decision could have saved me years of hardship.
It is human nature to want to eat McDonald's, drink a case of beer, snort some coke, smoke some weed, pop some Adderall, hook up with random people, not workout, and basically do whatever we want every day. Is this worth the outcome? No. It is not. You are going to end up 35 years old, looking like 60, and weigh 350 pounds. You'll have no job, be on welfare, be strung out, and have a real bad itch in an inconvenient place.
How can we make it easier on ourselves to make the right decision? We must convince ourselves that we want to make the hard decision and do what is right. This will more than likely NEVER be the "fun" decision or one that will give us instant gratification. We should derive our gratification from the future; the exact opposite of YOLO. I am not saying it is bad to have fun, but rather that many times "fun" gets in the way of things that are much more precious.
So kids, the moral of the story is "make the hard decision while you can." One day you will look back and be thankful that you did.
Hard Decision
(Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8007513)



0 comments:

Post a Comment